jueves, 24 de enero de 2008

The Devil's Throat

It can be challengin to not always be the one driving...diversions and potholes will inevitably be on our paths I hope we can navigate them alright.  

I recall losing my dad just over 3 years ago, which was unfortunately followed by an onslaught of repeated death in our family. We had almost had to laugh a bit because it was getting so ridiculous.

When he passed, after only three weeks notice he had cancer, we had three appliances go bad the day of the funeral, had two dogs die in a months time, and we were gifted with what would have been his first grandson. Shortly thereafter our other beloved relatives and holders of tradition started leaving, to the tune of 6; almost 1 every 6 months, sometimes closer together, and other times, more spread out. And this doesn't even include my husbands family. Only recently had I finished reeling from it all....or so I thought. When I was in the midst of it, I thought I was handling it ok and three years later, I realized I was hit so hard that I continued mourning, sometimes subtly, sometimes not so...

I'd like to say I have a cavalier existential attitude about death and human existence, but something in me struggles against this concept and leans on the interconnectedness of the universe and all things part.

This seems a hopeful glimmer of spirit in such times of desperation, with laughter added of course, that makes these moments bearable.

I'm Still Standing

...a bit about the pic I chose for this...La Garganta del Diablo, Iguazu (The Devil's Throat), some waterfalls I've been to in Argentina. Now I don't really believe in a devil, but I will say: I am familiar with having reverence for something that can be a terrifying- even a beautiful natural wonder.

No hay comentarios.: